Executive Inn & Suites, Leonardtown MD.  
Contact Us
Photo Gallery
History of Leonardtown
Call: 301.475.3000 | Fax: 301.475.3002

Area Attractions

With Executive Inn & Suites as its grand cornerstone, Leonardtown Square is the true gateway to many things to do in Leonardtown. Providing close proximity an easy access to many neighborhoods as well as cultural, historic and leisure attractions, the area has an allure all its own. Just steps away from the hotel, you will find the following Historic Attractions.

Tudor Hall:

Tudor Hall Just outside Executive Inn & Suites back door you will find Tudor Hall. Tudor Hall was originally built around 1744 as a small house with additions as early as the 1760’s. This Georgian-style house became the home of Philip Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Unusual features of the house are the inset portico, the main hall’s hanging staircase, and a “triple fireplace” in the kitchen. Tudor Hall now serves as the research library for the St. Mary’s County Historical Society. And also houses the Historical Society’s bookstore with books on genealogy, and local and regional history. Also, A Maryland War of 1812 Site, and a known visiting site of
George Washington

Old Jail Museum & Visitor Information Center:

Old Jail Museum Also, just outside our back door you will find the Old Jail Museum & Visitor Center, which was built in 1858 and used until 1942. The granite block and brick structure retains its original upstairs cells where prisoners were once segregated by gender and race. The jail keepers quarters downstairs house artifacts that relate county history. A cannon from “The Ark”, one of the two ships that first brought colonists to Maryland, and later used to defend St. Mary’s City, is displayed on the grounds. Here is where you could also hear the tale of Moll Dyer, an eccentric, impoverished noblewoman believed by the citizenry of the county in colonial days to have been a witch. On display at the jail is the mysterious
Moll Dyer
rock, which, as legend has is, bears her hand print.

St. Mary’s County Courthouse

St. Mary’s County Courthouse A courthouse has existed in Leonardtown since 1710. In 1736, the General Assembly authorized the justices of St. Mary's to build a new courthouse to replace the original wooden structure. This building survived until 1831, when it accidentally burned, destroying valuable records. A new courthouse was reconstructed on the site by 1832. For nearly 100 years, the courthouse was the scene of civic gatherings and meetings. Because of concern for the stability of the 1832 structure, another courthouse was constructed on the site in 1901. In 1957, the courthouse underwent extensive remodeling. The exterior red bricks replaced the yellow bricks used in 1901 and a more unified, pediment facade was incorporated. The most recent renovation and addition, completed in 2001, houses three circuit courts and related judicial offices.

Spalding/Camalier House

Spalding Camalier House In 1858, the original County Jail was abandoned and offered for public sale.
Dr. Andrew Jackson Spalding
purchased the old jail and lot and used the bricks in constructing his new home, which was eventually called Camalier House. The house is a two-and-one-half story, side-passage plan dwelling that represents one of the earliest extant in-town residences. Boasting modest Greek Revival detailing and proportions, the exterior features painted wood lintels over the doors and windows and distinctive bridged chimneys situated on the north gable end of the house. After the Civil War, the home was sold to Frank Neale Holmes, who also owned a store and the steamboat pier at Leonardtown Wharf.

Union Hotel

Union Hotel Originally known as "The Union Hotel" (1850), is located on the west side of Washington Street. According to a notice of sale posted in the November 26, 1857 issue of the St. Mary's Beacon, the Union Hotel could accommodate 100 guests and had stables for 200 horses. After the public sale, the hotel was renamed "The Fenwick Hotel". Due to its ties to court and government function, the hotel played a critical role in housing visitors on court and voting days as well as boarding tradesmen. The hotel was also popular for barbecues and public debates.

Duke’s Fountain-Bar-Restaurant

Duke Fountain-Bar-Restaurant Duke's Fountain-Bar-Restaurant is a two-story brick commercial building on the corner of Fenwick and Washington Streets. Constructed in the 1920's by Roland B. Duke, the building retains much of its original exterior including its storefront fenestration. A 1928 Sanborn Fire Insurance map notes that an auto sales showroom and grocery store were located on the first floor. The second floor was used as a hall for graduation ceremonies, parties, and other receptions as well as a bowling alley (unused but still in place). Today, the building hosts a restaurant and a variety of small retail businesses.


The Leonardtown Mural

The Leonardtown Mural The Leonardtown Mural was created to depict various periods in Leonardtown's history. On the left, the painting presents a turn-of-the-century theme; to the right, the chronology advances to the mid-1950's. Illustrated in sepia tones is the 1865 arrest of
Congressman Benjamin G. Harris
on charges of treason on the porch of the Fenwick Hotel.

St. Aloysius Catholic Church

St. Aloysius Catholic Church The present-day St. Aloysius Church (1962) was constructed in the Colonial-style on Washington Street adjacent to Father Andrew White School (1954). This church replaced the earlier St. Aloysius Church (1846) that stood on the south side of the parish rectory overlooking the Town Square. In 1959, the old church, with its belfry and graceful spire, was deemed structurally unsound and demolished. The covered arched walk-way that connected the rectory to the old church remains intact. The 1885 Jenkins' Memorial Bell, presented in honor of Father Charles K. Jenkins, was saved and installed in the new church. He is noted for his success in bringing the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky to the community in 1885.

Leonardtown Nazarene Church

Leonardtown Nazarene Church Located on the Town Square, Leonardtown Nazarene Church (1915) is a Gothic-style, concrete block building that exhibits six different types of blocks whose ornamental faces match those advertised by Sears, Roebuck and Company of Chicago. Manufactured pressed tin panels were used on the interior walls and ceiling.


Leonardtown Wharf:

Leonardtown Wharf During the War of 1812, the British blockaded the Chesapeake Bay. This crippled the Tidewater economy and subjected areas such as Leonardtown to repeated British plundering and destruction. By 1860, the Town had approximately 35 dwellings within these corporate limits. It was home to the County's newspaper, two hotels and several stores. During the Civil War, a Union Naval contingent occupied Leonardtown, searching all houses for weapons and supplies intended for shipment across the Potomac to Virginia as Southern Maryland and the Town's sympathies lay with the South. Leonardtown served as a busy port and steamboat landing until the passing of the steamboat era in the early 1900's.
Leonardtown remains the only incorporated municipality in St. Mary's County with its own elected Mayor and Town Council. The Town is experiencing a renaissance of its downtown as witnesses by recent openings of several new restaurants and businesses, some of which are located in historic buildings. Plans are underway to revitalize and transform the Leonardtown Wharf at the foot of Washington Street into a public waterfront park along wit a mix of retail shops, office space, and residential units. Facilities for boating, kayaking and canoeing are also planned.

Here’s a glimpse of the Leonardtown/Southern Maryland attractions awaiting your arrival:

Attractions & Activities:



National Aquarium in Baltimore
501 E Pratt St
Baltimore, MD 21202

Civil War Sites:

Fort Lincoln and the Civil War Museum at Pt Lookout State Park
-During the civil war, Point Lookout served as a Union hospital and then after the Battle of Gettysburg, as a prison camp which held as many as 52,000 Confederate soldiers. The park has a museum detailing its Civil War history and reconstruction of Fort Lincoln upon its original ramparts. The park also offers recreational opportunites. The Museum is open Saturdays and Sundays, May through October, 10 AM - 5 PM Saturday, and 10 AM-4PM Sunday

Historic Sites:

-St. Clements Island Museum: 38370 Pt Breeze Rd., Colton’s Point, MD 20626 301.769.2222/www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
-The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the early English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on the near-by island in 1634.

-Historic St Mary’s City: 18751 Hogaboom Lane, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686 240.895.4990/www.stmaryscity.org
-Historic St. Mary’s City is an outdoor museum located on the site of Maryland’s first colony and first capital.

-Sotterley Plantation: 44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood, MD 20636 301.3732280/www.sotterley.org
-Overlooking the scenic Patuxent River, the plantation encompasses nearly 100-acres of open fields, gardens, and shoreline. Sotterley Plantation is the sole surviving Tidewater plantation in Maryland that is fully interpreted and open to the public. Over 20 outbuildings are part of the site’s 300 plus year evolution including a Customs Warehouse, Smoke House, and an original Slave Cabin dating to the 1830’s.

-Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park: 44720 Lighthouse Rd., Piney Point, MD 20674 301.994.1471/www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
-The oldest lighthouse on the Potomac River, constructed in 1836. The site was once a summer resort for Washington dignitaries including several US presidents.

-Old Jail Museum and Visitor Information Center: 11 Courthouse Dr., Leonardtown, MD 20650 301.475.2467/ www.stmaryshistory.org
-Built in 1858 and in use until 1942, the granite block and brick structure retains its original upstairs cells where prisoners were once segregated by gender and race. The jail keeper’s quarters downstairs house artifacts that relate county history. A cannon from The Ark, one of the two ships that first brought colonists to Maryland, and later used to defend St. Mary’s City, is displayed on the grounds.

-Tudor Hall: 41680 Tudor Place, Leonardtown, MD 20650 301.475.2467/ www.stmaryshistory.org
-Tudor Hall was originally built in 1744 and was enlarged in the 1760’s. This Georgian-style house became the home of Philip Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Unusual features of the house are the inset protico, the main hall’s hanging staircase, and a “triple fireplace” in the kitchen. Maryland War of 1812 site. Tudor Hall serves as the research library for St Mary’s County Historical Society.

-Summerseat Farm: 26655 Three Notch Rd. Mechanicsville, MD 20659 301.373.6607/ www.summerseat.org
-With a history dating back to the late 17th century, Summerseat is a 120-acre working farm with a Queen-Anne style house, out-buildings including meat and dairy houses, barns and gardens. Summerseat breeds the only publicly accessible herd of American Buffalo in the region.


-Point Lookout Lighthouse: The lighthouse commands the southern most tip of the St. Mary’s County Peninsula. It was build by master lighthouse builder John Donahoo in 1830. He built many of the lighthouses on the Chesapeake Bay.

-Piney Point Lighthouse: The lighthouse and keeper’s quarters were built by John Donahoo in 1836. The circular tower stands 35 feet tall. The oldest lighthouse on the Potomac, it was in working beacon until 1964.

-Blackistone Lighthouse: This lighthouse is similar in construction to the Point Lookout lighthouse and was built in 1851, also by John Donahoo. Is stood on St. Clement’s Island until it burned in 1956. Reconstruction of the lighthouse was completed in 2008.

-Point No Point Lighthouse: Completed in 1905 with great difficulty, the octagon-shaped lighthouse stands 52 feet above water and lies two miles off shore. Accessible by water only.


-Greenwell State Park: 25420 Rosedale Manor Lane, Hollywood, MD 20636 301.872.2355
Greenwell offers nearly 600 acres of parkland, 10 miles of trails, and two miles of waterfront along the Patuxent River with an accessible 50 foot pier. Kayak/canoe launch sites, beach and picnic areas throughout.

-Point Lookout State Park: 11175 Point Lookout Rd, Scotland, MD 20687 301.872.5688
Located at the tip of St. Mary’s County, Point Lookout has a long and rich history. It also offers numerous recreation options. 143 wooded campsites available. Beach area has grills, picnic tables, and playground.

-St. Clement’s Island State Park: 38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point MD 20626 301.872.5688
The site of Maryland’s birthplace. In 1634, 140 English settlers landed here to establish America’s 4th British colony. The Potomac River island features a cross commemorating the founding.

-St. Mary’s River State Park: 21250 Camp Cosoma Road, Callaway, MD 20620 301.872.5688
Situated at the north end of the St. Mary’s River watershed in the center of the county, the park consists of approximately 2, 000 acres of land with a 250-acre fishing lake.

-Newtowne Neck State Park:
Cradled by Breton Bay, the Potomac River and St. Clement’s Bay, this 776 acre property of woodlands, wetlands and agricultural fields recently purchased by the State of Maryland offers low impact recreational opportunities such as biking, walking, birding and fishing. Capt. John Smith explored the waters surrounding the property in 1608. Newtowne was the first settlement in the Maryland province after St. Mary’s City. Its geographic location places it within view of St. Clement’s Island where the English colonists first landed in 1634. Prior to its settlement by the colonists, the Piscataway Indians and their forebears had occupied the site for many centuries.

Private Golf Courses:

Breton Bay Golf Course: 21935 Society Hill Rd., Leonardtown, MD 20650 301.475.2300
-Waterfront course overlooking Breton Bay. Eighteen holes, challenging back nine, 72 par, pro shop, driving range, restaurant and bar. Semi-Private.

Cedar Point Golf Course: 23248 Cedar Point Rd. Patuxent River, MD 20670 301.342.3597
-Eighteen holes, driving range, practice greens. On the Chesapeake Bay. Active duty and retired military, reservists, Navy league members, DoD employees and families.

Public Golf Courses:

Wicomico Shores Golf Course: 35794 Aviation Yacht Club Rd. Mechanicsville, MD 20659 301.884.4601
-Eighteen holes, 72 par, 145 acres overlooking the Wicomico River. Clubhouse, bar, and Riverview Restaurant. Driving range, pro shop, lessons available by appointment. Public.

Tours and Excursions:

McIntosh Run Water Trail:
-The trail begins at the Port of Leonardtown Park located at the north edge of town and terminates at Leonardtown Wharf Park. Between the two points are the tidal waters of McIntosh Run flowing three miles though a wooded 58-acre bird habitat and out onto pristine Breton Bay.

Greenwell State Park Water Trails:
-Paddle out of Quarter Creek onto the wide Patuxent. Paddle north past Sotterley Plantation or south to Half Pone Point and beyond to Myrtle Point.

Point Lookout Water Trails:
-Point Lookout State Park offers a variety of paddling experiences that include one or two hour paddles and day excursions with overnight camping options.

Water Excursions:
Dee of St. Mary’s Skipjack Tours: 16129 Piney Point Road, Piney Point MD 20674 301.994.2245
-Natural history and environmental education tours on the St. Mary’s and Potomac Rivers aboard an authentic skipjack with Captain Jack Russell.

Fish the Bay Charters & Lighthouse Tours: 20126 Dove Cove Rd. Dameron, MD 20628 301.904.0935
-Scenic Bay cruises, off-shore lighthouse photo opportunities, excursions from Point Lookout to Historic St. Mary’s City, and fishing charters.

Samuel M Bailey Tours: Bushwood, MD 20618 301.298.8701

Smith Island Cruises: 4065 Smith Island Rd. Ewell, MD 21824 410.425.2771
-Leaves from Point Lookout State Park to Smith Island.

St Clements Island: 38370 Point Breeze Rd., Colton’s Point, MD 20626 301.769.2222
-A water taxi runs from the St. Clement’s Island Museum out to Maryland’s birthplace on some weekends and during special events.


Port of Leonardtown Winery www.portofleoardtown.com


Smithsonian National Zoological Park: 3001 Connecticut Ave. NW Washington, DC 20008
Website Design, Hosting & Hotel Internet Marketing by SWAT Business Consulting LLC